~Momma Piñata~

Nothing prepares you for Mommahood!

Sunday, July 23, 2006

Holy Poop!


That's all I have to say.

Well not really. So the first couple of weeks of her life I was strictly breastfeeding and to make sure my little one was getting enough I logged what time she ate, for how many minutes, on which breast, how many wet diapers, how many BMs, what color they were, what consistency they were....and on and on and on.

Than I decided that she was doing fine and I needed to relax. Than entered the formula. And the poop charts started again (this time for far less time). Than I went to straight formula...no more breast milk (when are my boobs going to dry up btw???), and a few days later she got sick.

Well...the poop obsession is back again. She had diarrhea for a few days and now she's been a few days without it but the BMs just keep coming and coming and coming.

Ex. So far today:
1am: large, pb consistency
430am: small, normal (pb)
645am: tiny, normal (pb)
715am: tiny, cottage cheesey
8am: tiny, dark green, mucousy/stringy
915am: small, cottage cheesey

~the only reprieve seems to be when shes sleeping, though her BMs have been waking her up! I looked it up again today, and read that her BM's maybe more frequent for 7-10 days after a bout of diarrhea because the bowels are slow to heal! Can you imagine how many diapers that is? Also we've been running through cream like its going out of style! Her rash was terrible, broke my heart. She would cry and tremble and than "talk" to me about her pain for a minute or two after each change (if you can believe it they were more frequent and definitely watery at first!)...Now her rash is almost gone, so I don't want her to sit in it for 10 mins so she can decide to have a little more, but holy diapers batman!

I thought I wouldn't make it through all the size 1 diapers that we had, well we now have less than one pack left.

So now I wonder if i'll obssess and continue to log her poops for the next 5 days of if I'll just accept the fact that sleeping through the night is over again until she gets better...

I thought it was all about poop when I was working in daycare, but I think its more about poop now as a Momma, because you worry more, their yours...

In the picture she's at her sickest, can you even tell? I hope she's always that happy when she's sick. (Better yet, while I'm hoping, I hope she never gets sick again...LOL yeah right?)!

4 Comments:

  • At 9:28 AM, Blogger kittenpie said…

    oh, cute baby!

    What we've found really helps is to give her butt some air time at changes, entertain her on the change table for a bit and let things dry up.

    If it's really sore, we also have a little dish of water and dip the wipes in it so they are less abrasive and the wipes' solution is watered down.

    And finally, I am liking the Aveeno cream right now - easier to spread than the penaten, which sometimes woudn't stick to the worst parts of the rash.

    Hope she feels better soon!

     
  • At 4:40 PM, Blogger Momma Piñata said…

    I find that Penaten doesn't really work, sure it sticks but there's not enough zinc in it.
    I haven't tried the aveeno, but I am working with Desitin, but can I say, stinky!!!
    I really need to work on bare bum time, there just doesn't seem to be a "good" time...

     
  • At 9:51 PM, Blogger New Mama's Nest said…

    Isn't it funny how much you care about poop these days? Our little guy was a preemie and didn't poop for his first week or two... oh, how we prayed for poop!

    So sorry to hear you stopped nursing! She is beautiful! and looks sooo happy despite being sick. Hope she feels better soon!

     
  • At 7:30 AM, Blogger Momma Piñata said…

    I had a hard time when she decided she was done, I just didn't feel that fighting with her was really going to help anything, so we left it at bottles. I'm okay with it now, but since she's been sick I've been wondering...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home